Friday, June 4, 2010

A Note About Cheese... C sharp. Mmmm.

As you guys know, I made my own ricotta for the the ricotta and fig ice cream. I just want to reiterate how EASY it was to make this delicious and mild cheese. I've always had an unusually soft spot for cheese - as I'm sure many of you know. In fact, my first complete sentence was: "Mommy, I like cheese!" Cute, I know. I'll definitely be making more cheese in the future and I invite you all to do the same!


I was at the grocery store the other day buying some cheesecloth in order to make the ricotta. Now, I don't own a grocery store, but you all know I've worked in one, so I think I have a pretty good idea of where things should be placed in the stores. If I were in charge of groceries, I would put the cheesecloth in the baking aisle since most of its applications are in baking/cooking. This is not the case at Publix, though. Where do you think I found the cheesecloth? Take a wild guess... the aisle with cleaning supplies. WHAT?! I know, right?! I can't think of one instance where I would use cheesecloth to clean ANYTHING!


Anyway, cheesecloth in hand, I go to the express, or 10 items or less lane. Which, let me just point out, should be the 10 items or fewer lane. Grammar- learn it.  Ok, so I'm standing in line and the cashier looks at me and says, "what's that for?" To which I reply, "um... making cheese." The cashier looks at me for a minute, puzzled. Finally, he says: "I didn't know you could make cheese." I looked at him, totally dumbfounded. "Yeah. We've been making it for centuries!" I smiled politely, trying so hard not to reach across the conveyor belt and smack this kid in the head a la "shoulda-had-a-V8." Really? REALLY?! I didn't know you could make cheese? Where do people think cheese comes from - the cheese fairy?! Granted, a cheese fairy would be AMAZING, but highly unlikely. All I could picture this guy thinking about was that cow with wings and a tutu on the Kraft singles commercials granting cheese wishes and fortifying plastic orange squares with calcium and vitamin D.


Moral(s) of the story: Cheesecloth SHOULDN'T be in the cleaning aisle and people make cheese. 

1 comment:

  1. Haha. This was hysterical. I could see this playing in my head. Awesomeness. =)

    ReplyDelete