Tuesday, May 4, 2010

Green Tea Ice Cream

I know you're all chomping at the bit to read the rest of my camping saga, but I'm posting a delicious ice cream recipe first. Deal with it. 
I'm eating this ice cream as I post this... it is so smooth and creamy and refreshing. You're going to love it. If you don't, well, there's something wrong with you.


3/4 cup milk (I used Lactaid 2% because that's what I drink, but you can use whatever kind of milk you prefer.)
2 egg yolks
5 tablespoons sugar
1 tablespoon green tea powder (this can be found at any Asian market. It's kind of expensive, but the powder keeps for a while, so it all works out.)
3 tablespoons hot water


Mix hot water and green tea powder in a bowl and set aside. Lightly whisk egg yolks in a pan. Add sugar and mix well. Gradually add milk and mix. Put the pan on low heat and stir constantly until the mixture is thick (coats the back of a spoon). Remove the pan from heat and soak the bottom of the pan in ice water to cool the mixture. Add the green tea to the custard mixture and mix well, cooling the mixture.  Add the cream and stir gently. Pour the mixture into the ice cream maker and freeze.


Serves 4 to 6 people.

2 comments:

  1. I must make this ice cream...now, I must make the money to buy the ice cream maker, hop to it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This looks yummy! I'll have to get an ice cream maker...

    ReplyDelete