Monday, May 24, 2010

The Lamb Shank Redemption

So, this is kind of a heavy dish for the end of May, especially in Florida, but I can tell you right now - it's totally worth it. I had two lamb shanks in my freezer that I didn't roast for Passover, so I decided to cook them up now. I get into these weird purging and organizing moods with my things sometimes, and this includes food. I hate having cluttered space. I'm weird - I know. Anyway, this dish was delicious! Lamb shanks are pretty tough, so cooking them in a crockpot is one of the best ways to tenderize the meat. After 7.5-8ish hours of slow cooking, the meat was literally falling off the shank bone. 


Ingredients
1 sweet onion, sliced and separated into rings
2 lamb shanks
Worcestershire sauce
Kosher salt
Freshly ground black pepper
Olive oil
10 whole garlic cloves, large ones cut in half
8 ounces of mushrooms, whole or sliced
1 cup red wine
1/2 cup strong beef broth
1 (14 oz.) can diced tomatoes
Dried oregano
Dried basil 
4 sprigs fresh thyme
Ground allspice
1 bay leaf, broken in half
(I hate using exact measurements on spices so, it's up to you to decide what you want.) 


Spread sliced and separated onion rings on bottom of crockpot. Rub lamb shanks with Worcestershire sauce, then sprinkle all over with salt and pepper.


Heat heavy skillet over medium-high heat. Add olive oil and brown the lamb shanks. Place the shanks, along with any drippings from the skillet, in the crockpot on top of the onions. 
Top with garlic and mushrooms. 


In a bowl, combine red wine, beef broth, oregano, basil, tomatoes, thyme, allspice, and bay leaf. Pour mixture over the lamb shanks.

Cook on low for 8 hours, or until tender. Taste and adjust seasoning, if necessary. 


Mmmmmm. I wish you could smell the awesomeness.


1 comment:

  1. OMG Bailey, that sounds (and looks) wonderful! I am definitely going to make this when I have a dinner guest...
    Mom

    ReplyDelete